Enjoying our first trip to Lake Martinez, AZ "the river". Good times! Finding our new normal.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

A good weekend of progress

This weekend has been good. Jeff is getting stronger everyday. He's getting his color back and is showing a lot of strength in his upper body.

While he can't talk yet, he is using his own version of sign language and hand communication. He gets someone guessing at what he is trying to say and confirms the right answer with a snap and point - they are having fun interacting with him. Including, of course, using his middle finger to react to someone's joke or comment. His sense of humor is as joyful as ever.

And, get this! Apparently, Jeff has a hidden talent - he is kicking everyone's butt at thumb war. Who Knew?!

The nurses and doctors are resting a little better now that Jeff is more alert. They have less wrestling with him and he is behaving much better. In fact, he has started engaging with the doctors and asking questions about his condition and what they are doing to him.

Today he wanted to know how long he will be in the hospital, when he will be able to talk after the trach, and when he can have solid foods. He is ready to get the tube out of his mouth from the vent, and is patiently waiting to get the trach tomorrow. Amanda said, "We have been counting it down."

Personally, I find comfort in his approach to the tracheotomy - When I first heard that, I was scared and unsure. I'm thankful that he is positive about that next step, and nurses and doctors are confident that it will help move his healing along.

Amanda has been reading him the blog and all of your comments - She can see the appreciation and love in his eyes when he hears all the thoughts and prayers.

It's Jeff, right? So, he is bored. She is also reading all the Facebook updates and posts, so keep sharing what is going on in your world. It helps him to see the outside world through all our eyes.

He has been asking about news and current events, so they are reading him stories and news. Each day, they tell him the day and the time to help keep him connected.

Amanda brought Jeff their sleep machine a few days ago. It really helps him relax and get good sleep, which is hard when they come in to shift him every two hours and poke and prod him all the time. Now, if you know Amanda, you know this is a gigantic expression of love!

Jeff is beginning to understand the long road ahead, and he seems to be ready for the fight.

15 comments:

  1. We are so happy to hear this news. I've checked the blog multiple times today hoping to hear something good. We've sent our donation, posted a note on my fb page, and are saying our prayers. Jeff is such a great person and we want him back to his old self!
    - Tim and Kelly Edwards

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear that he is ready for the fight! Jeff, I never doubted for a minute that you will find a way :)
    WOW..sister...the sleep machine...you must really love you some Jeffy! I love you both and continue to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Jeff! We all knew that you wouldn't give up the fight, so you keep going strong! I'm even willing to let go of the "Dippy" nickname forever! Heck, I don't even remember why you were given that name anyway lol but keeping you in our prayers. Amanda, you are truly special and we pray for you as well to keep your strength and positive attitude. Jeff is very lucky and blessed to have you! Love, Jacquie (in case I come up unknown again)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jeff and Amanda. We missed you guys at volleyball this week. Guess what?! We lost! Ha ha. So glad to hear some good news. I find myself checking the blog several times a day waiting for the latest update. Jeff, I miss your witty Facebook comments and I want you to know that I HATE this sooo much! Hopefully we will be able to visit you soon! I will update you on the Bachelorette. :)
    Karna

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great news!!!! Jeff keep up the fight!!! You have so many people pulling and praying for you!!! Like others mentioned, I check the blog every time I am at the computer to see if there has been an update. This one brought tears to my eyes!!! Amanda stay strong and positive. Your love will help Jeff keep fighting, but don't forget to take a few moments a day for yourself!!! Love and Prayers from MI. We love you Jeff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news...love to hear the positive. We all new you were a fighter! So much love and prayers from many many friends and family, did you think you had so many friends??!! LOL.
    Amanda and Joan...you are in my prayers too. I know you are giving Jeff the strength to keep up the fight. Stay strong, we love you. Tonya (MI)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news,and im sure Jeff looks at it as his next big challenge and that he will conquer it like he has done on so many other things. It is going to be a long and bumpy road and it is great that he is surrounded by so many great people to help him get through this. You are in are thought and prayers every day. Luv ya cuz!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im with mom on this one, giving up the sleep machine Aunt Mandy must have not been an easy one :o) SO glad everything is improving, just a little upset I'm missing out on this thumb war action! Love both of you and good luck with the trach!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If there's anything I learned from playing kickball with Jeff and Amanda, it's that they have a TREMENDOUS amount of fight and passion in them. I'm sure when they turn it on this battle, Jeff's injury won't stand a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay Big Jeffy! Keep up the fight! I know you have it in you!! I miss so much! I read Mommy Retz your blog everyday. That's always the first thing she asks when we talk, "any word on Jeff?" I can't wait for you to talk, again. We have tons of gossip to catch up on! At lunch, we always save you your seat. Clearly, it's been pretty quiet without you. Jay and Dave are always on their iPhones, but what else is knew. You'll be happy to know I finally got one! Aren't you proud of me?? Anyway, I hope you know that you and Amanda are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you both and wish you all the strength in the world! -Katers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Jeff - your good news brightened up this sad day for all Packer fans everywhere. Keep up the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jeff, Amanda, and Joan...so glad to hear the progress, may everything keep moving forward and in no time he will be healthy and heading home again....Our prayers and thoughts are always with you during this time...Jeff keep being involved and positive attitude will get you there...Amanda and Joan remember to take some time for yourself to rejuvenate and reenergize because as caregivers you need it, trust me I know...it will also help you stay focused and sane...many hugs to all of you...Stay strong Jeffy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jeff, just checking in to say I love you...can't wait to talk soon! Stay strong!! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Fun-Guy,

    I miss you and I love you soooooooooooooooo much! I hope you feel better!

    <3 Your favorite Emma ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. JEFF!! Sorry this is the 1st time I have been on FB since August of last year, I think! NOT good news to hear! But happy ur making a lot of progress!! Good for you!! I hope u at least did damage the dudes car that hit u!!! lol Seems a lot is going on lately! idk if u remember my sister pam, she's younger than us.... but anyway, she's in the hospital bcuz she tried commiting suicide!!! took 240 xanax over a 4 day period! shes on a breathing machine & heavily sedated. UGH!!!!!! I have both her kids now, along w/ my daughter (of course) & as a result of pam going into work repeativly high on xanax she was fired. So things r not real good on my end either. Then just b4 Christmas I was in a car accident & totaled my Yukon! Prior to that.... had to move my mom in with me cuz she's not doing well... so hands r pretty full... lol Gotta love life's twists & turns.... there is always a reason.... I am really glad u r in good spirits!!! Then again... u have always been that way!! I'm the same way.... just live n let live... it is what it is.... I will chk back in a few days only cuz i'm gonna be busy for a few days. but wanted u to know that u r in my prayers!!! as well as ur family!! Keep improving buddy!!! Soon enough u'll get to look back on this nightmare & it'll just be a memory! Get ur rest best thing to do for urself! God Bless u, ur family & friends that r they with ya!!!! my prayers with all!! take care n talk to ya in a couple of daze.... xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete